Thursday, October 2, 2014

healthy travel snacks


This last weekend my super hot assistant Matt and I were on the road. I was coordinating a wedding several hours away and staying in a hotel for a few nights. I don't know about you but when I travel I forget to pack enough healthy snacks. This trip I tried to make enough food to get us through. Since our 21 Sugar Detox these have been our staple snacks.

Simple Beef Jerky:
1/3 c coconut aminos 
1 tsp granulated garlic & onion
1/2 tsp sea salt (I omit the salt)
lots of pepper
1 pound lean beef, fat trimmed (london broil)

Whisk marinade together. Adjust seasoning to your liking. I found the coconut aminos to be too salty. I prefer the braggs aminos and I don't add any additional salt. I also add in a 1/4 cup of water to the marinade. 
Cutting against the grain of the meat, slice the meat thinly into approximately 1/8 inch slices using a very sharp knife or a meat slicer.
Place the sliced meat in marinade and let sit at room temp for an hour. 
If you have a food dehydrator then set temp to 135-145 and cook until desired dryness about 3-5 hours. 

To make jerky in the oven set temp to 200 and bake 2-4 hours or until jerky reaches your desired dryness. 

Since I don't have a dehydrator I cooked in the oven for 2-4 hours the first time and flipped the meat after 2 hours. It turned out great, it just takes so long. The second batch I discovered that we have a convection oven in the camp kitchen and that cut my cooking time in half!!! I placed the meat on wire racks so it would cook evenly and it was done in 2 hours. 

Cinilla Nut Mix
1 egg white 
1 tbsp coconut oil melted
1/4 tsp vanilla 
1tsp cinnamon 
2 pinches of sea salt 
1/4 c macadamia nuts 
1/2 c walnuts (I used pecans)
2 tbsp almond meal 


Preheat oven to 275 
In a mixing bowl whisk together the egg white, coconut oil, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Add the nuts and almond meal, and toss evenly to coat. 
Spread evenly on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes or until toasted. 

Spicy Thai Nut Mix:

1 tbsp coconut aminos (I use braggs aminos) 
1 tbsp coconut oil melted
2 to 4 drops fish sauce 
zest and juice of 1 lime
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp minced fresh ginger 
1/4 c almonds 
1/4 c pepita's 
1/2 c walnuts (I used pecans) 
1 tsp sesame seeds 


Preheat oven to 275 
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the coconut aminos, coconut oil, fish sauce, lime zest, lime juice, cayenne pepper, and ginger. Add the nuts and seeds and toss evenly to coat. 
Spread evenly on a baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes or until toasted. 

For the nut mixes I always double the recipe. The amount in the recipe would be like one handful for us.
I bake these mixes at the same time. I put them on a rack on parchment paper and use the convection oven again, I love that thing! 


Here's one last recipe I made for the trip. 

Apple Cinnamon Muffins from PaleOMG this was our breakfast each morning.They turned out amazing. I am loving everything about her site!! 



Hope you enjoyed these healthy travel snack ideas. 
xo 
Ash 

No comments: